Summer Session Housing

Summer Session students live at Porter College in the residence halls. To promote safe physical distancing, all students will be assigned to single-occupancy spaces. Residence halls have shared bathroom facilities. Additional amenities include internet access, Cable TV via Xfinity On Campus, computer/technical support, and laundry facilities.

Each residence hall student receives an allocation of dining Slug Points based on the length of residency. Slug Points is a declining balance plan accepted at the Porter/Kresge Dining Hall, located next to the residence halls. You will use your student ID card to swipe in at the dining hall. For more information, check out Summer Dining 2021.


Apply for Summer Session Housing

The Summer Session Housing Application is available beginning May 1 at Housing is limited and priority will be given to students who submit a housing application by May 31.

Students must be enrolled in the summer session term for which they are applying to live in university housing.

Transitional Housing

UCSC students who live on-campus and need continuous housing between the academic year and summer session (spring-summer transition and/or summer-fall transition) can apply for transitional housing (

  • Spring-Summer Transitional Housing students move from their spring housing assignments to summer session housing on Tuesday, June 15, 2021. To be allowed to stay in your spring assignment until that time you also need to request a late checkout (
    • BONUS! The spring-summer transitional housing fee ($329) will be waived for current spring 2021 residents who are enrolled in Summer Session 2021 (Session 1, 8-week, or 10-week).
  • Summer-Fall Transitional Housing is available to students who live in Session 2 or 10-week summer session housing and also have a fall housing assignment. Students in Summer-Fall Transitional Housing are eligible to relocate to their fall housing assignment at the conclusion of the summer housing contract. Additional early arrival fees apply.

Billing and Payment

Once assigned to housing, charges will be posted to your university billing account and an electronic billing statement will be generated. You can view your billing statement and account activity online through the Student Portal ( Late fees are assessed if full payment is not posted to your account by the due date on your billing statement. For information regarding your housing billing and payment options, including how to request a personalized payment plan, please visit Housing Billing and Payment. For information regarding how to make your payment, please visit Student Business Services Payments and Billing.

Financial Aid: Any housing/dining balance not covered by financial aid awards is the responsibility of the student. Financial Aid recipients are advised to:

  1. Review and ensure all financial aid eligibility requirements have been met (
  2. Review a summary of financial aid award(s) with an adviser in the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office

Summer Cancellation Process:

  • Prior to taking residence, if your plans change and you are unable to live in university housing, you must login to and cancel your application/contract.
  • After taking residence, requests for housing contract cancellation must be initiated through The housing office at your residential community will contact you regarding your request. Moving out or turning in keys without official approval will not release you from your contractual obligation, and you will continue to be billed accordingly.


  • For contract and billing questions, contact the Campus Housing Office at

Some or all instruction for all or part of the Academic Year may be delivered remotely. Tuition and fees have been set regardless of the method of instruction and will not be refunded in the event instruction occurs remotely for any part of the Academic Year. Figures for tuition and fees represent currently approved or proposed amounts and may not be final. Actual tuition and fees are subject to change by the University of California as determined to be necessary or appropriate. Final approved tuition and fee levels may differ from the amounts presented.

See Also