Welcome Parents and Family
We are pleased that you and your student are interested
in UC Santa Cruz, a selective collegiate
university with a national reputation for excellence. UCSC
list of the most beautiful campuses, not just in the
U.S., but in the world.
Living on campus provides students with the opportunity to interact in an academic environment and enhance their education by taking advantage of the support provided by the university. Recent research of college students across the nation indicates that students who live on campus are more satisfied with their college experience, earn higher grade point averages, and are more likely to graduate.
University housing provides residents with the traditional amenities and more.
- All rooms are wired with ethernet service, which includes direct access to online campus resources (classes, study groups, and library resources), the internet, and email.
- Easy access to campus computer labs, libraries, private study rooms, dining services, and recreational facilities including cardiovascular and weight training machines, swimming pool, tennis courts, and gyms.
By living on-campus, students can interact and live with dedicated professional and student staff members.
- Staff members work cooperatively to build and maintain a feeling of community.
- Staff members are available to assist students with personal and academic concerns, and act as resources to residents by serving as liaisons between the university and students.
Campus safety is a priority at UCSC. The campus Police Department and housing staff members are available 24 hours a day to make sure students feel safe in their home-away-from-home.
- All residence halls have controlled access and are equipped with smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.
- In addition, campus shuttles allow students to travel the campus safely.
As a resident in campus housing, students can:
- Save time, aggravation and problems by making one payment that covers ALL the costs:
- utilities, rent, meals, furniture, amenities, bus/shuttle transportation, and more.
- By living on campus students avoid the hassles of setting up utilities, paying monthly bills, and wasting time commuting to and from class, the library, or the gym.
- When on-campus residents go home for summer or graduate, they don’t have to worry about getting back a security deposit, selling furniture, or terminating utility services.
Living at UCSC means living with friends, and experiencing a living situation that is different from any other.
- The opportunity to live on campus is a once in a lifetime
chance to experience options like theme
housing, which allows students to live with or next
door to students with similar interests such as:
- diversity awareness, outdoor adventure, academic achievement, science learning, gaming, arts and music, or a group of students may simply choose to organize a "friends-theme" floor. There are many different and exciting options at each college.
- In addition, campus residents are introduced to individuals they otherwise would not have had the opportunity to know, and often build bonds of friendship that remain strong long after they leave UCSC.
Additional web resources for parents:
- UC Santa Cruz Parents Guide
- UC Santa Cruz Policy on Privacy of Student Records
- UC Santa Cruz Academic Calendar
- Office of the Registrar/General Information
- Student Policies and Regulations Handbook
- Telephone Availability for Residential Students
- University Magazine
Santa Cruz area information: