Room and Apartment Selection
April 13-20, 2015
A point system is used to determine the order in which priority applicants (continuing students who apply for Fall 2015 university housing during the Priority Housing Application Period (April 13-20, 2015)) will be invited to select apartments/rooms. Points are awarded based on a student’s housing guarantee status, affiliation with their applied-for-college, and the year a student entered UCSC.
|Guarantee Status||Priority Points||College Affiliation*||Priority Points||Year of Entry**||Priority Points|
|Guarantee||3||Affiliate||3||2011 or 2012||3|
A student with a housing guarantee has the highest priority for selection at their affiliated college. Students considering applying for housing at a different college are strongly advised to consult with the housing staff before proceeding. To help determine your priority for selection, please refer to the examples below.
|Guarantee | Affiliate | 2011 or 2012||9|
|Guarantee | Affiliate | 2013||8|
|Guarantee | Affiliate | 2014||7|
|Guarantee | Non-Affiliate | 2011 or 2012||6|
|Non-Guarantee | Affiliate | 2011 or 2012||6|
|Guarantee | Non-Affiliate | 2013||5|
|Non-Guarantee | Affiliate | 2013||5|
|Guarantee | Non-Affiliate | 2014||4|
|Non-Guarantee | Affiliate | 2014||4|
|Non-Guarantee | Non-Affiliate | 2011 or 2012||3|
|Non-Guarantee | Non-Affiliate | 2013||2|
|Non-Guarantee | Non-Affiliate | 2014||1|
- *College affiliation is applicable only for assignment processes at the 10 colleges. Affiliation is not a consideration for assignment at Redwood Grove, The Village, or the University Town Center.
- **Additional points will be assigned to transfer students to place them in their appropriate class level.
- Student leaders will each be granted 1 extra priority point. Student leader positions are defined as:
- College Orientation Leader
- College Student Government Affiliate
- College student employees whose employment requires them to work evenings/late nights at their college of residence this does not apply to college student employees who live in one community but work in a different community
Eligible students wanting to reserve a space early and bypass the online Room Selection process may choose to participate in one of the following Early Group Selection options at the community to which they applied. Students must submit a declaration form to their housing office by April 30, if they are interested in any of the following options. Your housing office will notify you by May 11 if your group is eligible to participate in the Early Group Selection process.
All colleges set aside some apartments exclusively for full apartment households. Apartment groups must be able to fill an entire apartment. Priority will be given based on the collective points of all household members.
Residence Hall Groups
Select a block of residence hall rooms with a group of friends to create your own “neighborhood”. Your group must include a minimum of three applicants for two or more adjacent rooms and must be able to fill all available spaces in selected rooms. We’ve even had groups of over 25 students able to select an entire floor! Priority will be given based on the collective points of all group members. (Bonus: Rate Saver—lock in the 2014-15 room and meal plan rate for 2015-16!)
The Room Selection process is held in two phases:
Community Room Selection (May 19-20)
Eligible students are invited to select a space at their applied-for-community either individually or as part of a group.
- By May 14, students who are eligible to participate in room selection (based on priority points) will receive a Room Selection Invitation Email at their UCSC email address. The email will contain an access code and appointment time to log in to Student Housing Online and make a housing selection.
- If you do not receive an invitation email you will not be able to participate in the online room selection process. See the Community Staff Assign Wait List Students section below for more information.
All Campus Supplemental Room Selection (May 21)
- Students who were invited but did not select a space during the Community Room Selection process will be eligible to select from any remaining spaces at other communities.
- Spaces will be limited to those not selected during Community Room Selection.
- Eligible students may log in to Student Housing Online beginning at 7:00am (Pacific Time).
Beginning Friday, May 22 and continuing throughout the summer
While some students select their own housing, many others are assigned housing by their Housing Coordinator. Whether you were not invited to participate in room selection or you decided not to choose one of the spaces available, rest assured your application will remain active and you will be assigned housing as soon as a space matching your preference(s) becomes available. read more
Your active application represents your interest in being assigned housing. Some things to keep in mind while you await an assignment:
- Be patient and flexible as we continue through this portion of the housing assignment process.
- We will work with you over the coming days, weeks, and months, if necessary, to find you an available space either at your applied-for-community or elsewhere on campus.
- Contact your Housing Coordinator if you would like to update the room preferences listed in your housing application.
- Keep your contact information (cell phone, permanent phone) up-to-date in the Student Portal. Also, be sure to check your UCSC email often as housing staff may need to contact you.
- A confirmation email will be sent to your UCSC email address when you have been assigned housing.
If at any time your plans change and you are no longer interested university housing it is your responsibility to immediately cancel your application (studenthousing.ucsc.edu). There is no fee for cancelling an application prior to a space being assigned; cancellation fees will apply in all cases of a student cancelling a confirmed housing space.