Social Justice and CommunityCollege Ten’s theme, Social Justice and Community, focuses on the inequalities that exist in society, such as discrimination and poverty, and the role of community involvement in addressing social injustices.
College Ten’s core course, Social Justice and Community, addresses the college’s commitment to understanding and promoting social justice in communities around the world while developing students’ writing, reading, oral presentation, and critical thinking skills.
Educational Enrichment and Extracurricular Opportunities
- Social Justice Issues Workshop, an optional two-credit class, examines current problems related to social injustice. Students can gain experience as teachers by enrolling in Teaching Social Justice.
- The Service Learning Program offers opportunities to volunteer locally and abroad: Praxis arranges local volunteer work days, and Esprit de Corps provides credit for work at a local non-profit.
- The College Ten Leadership Certificate is awarded to active student participants in a series of leadership programs, workshops, and volunteer opportunities.
- Students enjoy music, spoken word, and a relaxed environment at the student-run Terry Frietas Café.
- The Practical Activism Conference is a dynamic one-day student-led event held every fall, featuring speakers, workshops, performances, hands-on activism activities, and various on and off campus organizations. This popular annual event is an excellent arena in which to develop tools and find allies for local and global change. Students gain leadership skills and experience by joining the planning group the preceding spring.
Housing and Dining
- Residence halls and apartment buildings house students in single, double, and triple rooms.
- Apartments are available to continuing and upper-division students, and have full kitchens, living rooms, and bathrooms. Ground-floor apartments have decks and upper apartments have private balconies.
- Housing Themes and Options at College Ten
- A dining hall is available at this college.