Self and Society
Stevenson College’s theme, Self and Society, emphasizes the goals of both self-understanding and active participation in one’s community to give students a greater understanding of themselves and their cultures, and to help them think globally.
Stevenson’s two-quarter core course, Self and Society, focuses on the relationship between the self and society, and offers students an interdisciplinary introduction to the diverse historical, cultural, and intellectual traditions and texts that provide the basis of modern society. Students meet in seminars two or three times each week to discuss reading and writing assignments. Skills in analytic thinking, writing, and speaking are emphasized.
Educational Enrichment and Extra-Curricular Opportunities
- The Junior Fellows Program allows selected Stevenson juniors and seniors to teach in the core course.
- Home to Rainbow Theater, Stevenson College is committed to narrowing the divide between politics and art through a tradition of theater and performance.
- The Rosa Parks African American Theme House (R.PAATH) provides a living-learning opportunity for students whose interests span historical, present day, and future experiences of predominantly Black/African American peoples.
- Stevenson College offers a number of scholarships and research opportunities.
- Upper-division students help entering students succeed by participating in the Writing Assistants Program.
- There are ample opportunities for involvement in organizations unique to the college: Stevenson Student Council, Multicultural Awareness Club, Path to a Greener Stevenson.
- Housing themes and special interest communities at Stevenson includes: Diversity and Social Justice, Outdoor Adventure, Sustainability, LGBTQ&A, and the Rosa Parks African American Theme House (R.PAATH).
Housing and Dining
- Eight residence hall houses are located at Stevenson. Housing themes and options such as women-only, substance-free, Outdoor Adventure and Multicultural and Diversity House may be requested.
- Housing Themes and Options at Stevenson College
- A dining hall facility and cafe are located at the college.