Ars Longa, Vita Brevis: Life is Short, Art Endures
Porter College’s theme, Ars Longa, Vita Brevis: Life is Short, Art Endures, manifests our belief that creativity is integral to all fields of study from art to physics to linguistics, and promotes an environment in which original thought, creative imagination, and personal and cultural differences are appreciated.
The Porter core course, Writing Across the Arts, addresses social, political, and aesthetic issues raised by selected works of literature and art in a variety of media. Core course instructors and instructional assistants (upper-division students) work with freshmen in small groups to develop their skills in writing, verbal presentation, and critical reading and analysis.
Educational Enrichment and Extracurricular Opportunities
- Porter College is a diverse and inclusive community emphasizing individual and collaborative creativity in all aspects of education. Several funding sources are available for Porter student projects through Creative and Innovative Grants, Porter Senate Grants, Porter College Undergraduate Fellowships, Porter Research Fellowships, and the Hitchcock Poetry Fund.
- Residential theme areas include Film & Digital Media, LGBTQ and Allies, Social Justice, and Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM).
- Residential housing options include Substance-Free, Co-ed, Sober and Clean Recovery Housing and Single Gender.
- The Transfer Community, located at Porter College, houses incoming transfer students who request university housing (regardless of college affiliation), with programs designed specifically to support transfer students as they adjust to university life.
- Student organizations include the Porter Senate and Queer Fashion Show.
- The Porter/Kresge Dining Hall converts into theater space and is the venue for several campus cultural events.
- The computer lab specializes in digital media, filmmaking, and computer music.
- The JB Hall Gallery and Bridge Gallery are available for all students to exhibit their artwork.
Housing and Dining
- Students are housed in two residence halls.
- Apartments are available for continuing and upper-division students.
- Housing Themes and Options at Porter College
- A dining hall and cafe are located at the college.