Kresge's core course, Power and Representation, is a course in the literature of individual and collective struggles for social justice, with an emphasis on dialogues about gender identity, anti-racism movements, documentation status and immigrants' rights. The common theme among our texts is a tension between how we, as individuals and communities, are seen, heard, and understood by others, and the way we understand, present, and perform ourselves. The course concludes with contemporary texts about productive individual and social action, toward solutions to problems of power and representation in society.
Educational Enrichment and Extracurricular Opportunities
- Kresge’s strong academic community emphasizes creativity, leadership, sustainability, and community.
- Kresge is home to The Writing Center, including the Creative Writing archives, and Writers House, a living/learning community for students interested in creative writing and journalism, regardless of major.
- The Ecovillage living/learning community brings together first-year students who want to actively create a new world based on cooperation, justice, and sustainable living.
- Residential housing options include Mixed-Gender, Substance Free, Single-Gender, and Quiet. All students will be housed in apartments.
- Kresge College is also home to the new Common Ground Center, promoting social and environmental change through undergraduate-focused action-education, research, advocacy, and civic engagement.
- Kresge’s students actively shape their community through participation in Transformative Action and Service Learning classes, Kresge’s Student Parliament, and the Kresge Multicultural Educational Committee.
- The Kresge Garden is the site of our organic garden and food systems classes, and is a place where students empower themselves to learn how to grow their own food and work together cooperatively.
- The student-run Natural Food Co-op, Photo Co-op, and Music Co-op are all located at Kresge, and the “STARS at Kresge” center provides support and services to transfer and re-entry students.
Housing and Dining
- Kresge's residential buildings house students in various apartment styles which include both shared and private rooms.
- A cafe/coffee shop is located at this college.
- Housing Themes and Options at Kresge College
- A dining hall is nearby.